Our Sailing adventures

We moved from Hances Point Yacht Club to get closer to deeper water.  There was a lot of thin water up there so we moved about 30nm south to Middle River.  Water here is 6’ MLW so we were comfortable and would not have to use our get off the bottom free card from BoatUS. We put the boat on the hard and spruced her up new bottom paint and waxing.


New bottom paint and she is launched at Maryland Marina



With a huge forklift they came and lifted her up and put her in the water.  We purchased new dock lines and motored her back to the slip that we had her in after waiting for the bottom paint to dry.  They said we could stay for a couple of weeks until we had her commissioned and fitted out.  We wound up staying. We liked the marina and the people running it. All of the people at the marina told us of how they protected the fleet when the hurricane came up the bay and the water rose above the pilings at the marina.  They lost nothing to the storm; which is a real credit to their dedication.  Once we fitted her out our adventures began.


Our boat is a 1982 Watkins.  The Watkins boats are no longer made.  They were designed with island hopping in mind.  They were manufactured in Florida until the government decided that the sail boat industry would be a good place to generate income from excise tax.

Baltimore, MD Inner Harbor; we were coming from the water side. We like to sail in and tie up to the sea wall.  From there it is a quick walk to the Hooters for hot wings and a few cold ones.  It is an interesting trip as Baltimore is a busy sea port. You see many ships in the channel.  As a sailboat you have to move out of their way because they are restricted to the channel.

We are just entering the Brewerton Channel that leads to the Inner Harbor of Baltimore.

The Bridge on the Interstate as it crosses the channel. I have the jib furled using only the main sail.

Domino Sugar, they unload the raw sugar and package it here.  As a driver for Webster we would get into Domino to pick up the packaged sugar.  I would wander to the pier and wish I was sailing.  If they were going to be several hours loading my truck I would call the water taxi and go to the Inner Harbor for lunch. What a rough life.    

Bonnie at the helm, she is an excellent sailor.  She would rather the boat be hiked out and the gunwales be in the water.

Bonnie and me on the sea wall after returning from a night at Hooters where we enjoyed Buffalo Shrimp and Buffalo Wings. The red lights reflecting on the water is Domino Sugar.

 Bonnie with the wind off the starboard side, it will make for a nice trip to Maryland Marina.

 Bonnie is bringing us back under moonlight.  The white light over her left shoulder is the moon.  Thank God it is not a ship looming on the horizon; they have a way of sneaking up on you.  This area is a heavy traffic area with ships going to and from the Delaware Bay. I will be going below for some rest and will relieve her in a few hours.  The wind is off the port quarter and we are making about 6 knots.  I think my flash may have ruined her night vision.  We are edge the channel so the only thing we have to dodge is the crab pots.


Havre de Grace

We sailed up to Hance’s Point Yacht Club and then went to Charlestown and had dinner at the Wellwood Club they have the most excellent Crab Bisque. That night we sailed to the light at Hance’s point and then motored up the narrow channel to Havre de Grace.  The channel has 8 feet of water but it drops to 2 foot outside of the narrow channel.  We dropped anchor at the mouth of the Susquehanna River and the next day were joined by Carmel and Mike for a nice cruise around the area.


Bonnie is happy the boat is healing, the sails are full of air and I was below sleeping when I came up to snap some pictures.



 Bonnie looking out for crab pots.                   A pirate vessel                                                Carmel at the helm                                 Carmel and all of us looking at camera    

  Darkness falls time for a sundowner          Looking up the Susquehanna                                     Carmel about to do a Titanic


Bonnie’s son David along with the Hennigan’s, and Claroni’s came to Middle River for a day sail.  The weather was cool and threatened of rain.  However the rain held off until the end of our sail.  Capt. Don had taken sailing lessons but never got to do any sailing. So today is his turn to be captain. 



Capt. Don pointing to the albatross circling us.  Kelsie is our galley slave.  To the left of Capt. Don is his wife Sondra.  Karyl Claroni is next to her mother, she is Kelsie and Rachel’s mother.



Rachel enjoying some quiet time.                     Capt. Don at the helm                                   Jim acting as a preventer                                The girls catching what little rays there are.


 The girls riding on the bow sprit                    Sondra is at the helm                                     David riding the bow sprit and consuming a cold one.


A trip around the bay with the Calamia’s


Dominic and Austin joined us for a trip on the bay.  Dominic wanted to go faster than the 5-6 knots that the boat was going.  He called the boat the “Sea Slug” due to its lack of speed.  It is the journey not the speed that matters.



Austin at the helm                                      Austin asleep on watch                     Dominic at the helm steering us around the icebergs (crab pots)


Questions or comments Email jim@swissdreams.net or bonnie@swissdreams.net